As usual, I like working under a time crunch. I had a full week to finish my crochet doll fairy outfit for the Renaissance Faire. We go every year and we picked a weekend that was going to be relatively cool since I was representing in full-out crochet. I wasted no time and planned what would be done on what day.
The corset/bustier whatchamacallit and arm cuffs
This actually took me longer than I expected but it was relatively easy. It was time consuming but easy. The top is just rows of single crochet, alternating between two rows of purple and black. The black skirt was double crochet with an increase round and back post stitches thrown in. The black skirt took the longest because the yarn was so darn thin and took forever to work up, but patience won out and I got it done. I also worked on the frame for the wings.
I was bouncing back and forth between the wings and the dress.
The frame for the wings were two wire hangers that I joined. I destroyed many wire hangers trying to get a good look. And what did I go with in the end? I took two hangers and just twisted the hook parts around each other and stretched the bottom of the hangers out. Sometimes simple is best, especially when you’re in a time crunch. I single crocheted around the whole thing. I set it aside for later.
The skirt (goes under the black skirt)
The skirt did actually take me just one day, a day of non-stop crochet, but just one day. 🙂 This was similar to the black skirt in that it was mostly double crochet. The waist got some single crochet but that was it. Oh, and the bottom edging was done in picots.
I couldn’t decide how I wanted the wings to look. I had all sorts of notions but went with something simple and fast. Honestly, I felt like I was just slapping things together but it ended up looking pretty. The flowers were last minute touches that I think made the wings look complete.
My daughter said it looked like eyes so I added the flowers so it wouldn’t!
Aaahhh, the hair. I left the hair for last because I had a clear picture of what I wanted and how I was going to achieve the look. I had planned on making a thin headband. I knew it would get hot so I didn’t want a full beanie with yarn all around. A ponytail could be achieved with strands around the border. My first attempt was a fail. Not enough coverage! I had to add more rounds to the head band and a second layer of strands, but that did the trick. Last but not least were the ringlets. I didn’t even secure them well because it was close to midnight and I wanted to sleep! I secured them just well enough so they wouldn’t fall out during the day. I reasoned I would permanently attach them after the fair.
I ended up loving it!
Overall, I was thrilled with how everything turned out and I made it in time for the fair!
I’ll write about our adventure in my next post. Spoiler alert, the wig and wings were a big hit!