Crochet Rosalina From Super Mario Galaxy

I’ve been working on a challenging project for a little over a week now, and I finally finished. My son is into video games, and he liked the Sora doll I made for him as a Christmas gift. His birthday was only a few days away and he asked if it was possible for me to make another game character.

Could I! Of course I could! I love when my family challenges me with something they want out of crochet. What he wanted was a character named Rosalina. As usual, I didn’t know anything about that character, but he showed me illustrations as well as video from the game. I got a good sense of her.

At first, I thought…easy peasy. And for the most part, she was. But that hair! And the eyes! I normally like to use buttons for the eyes. I asked my son if he wanted me to try embroidering them as we could always fall back on buttons if I couldn’t do it. I watched some videos for inspiration, and I did my own thing anyway.

So far so good…
The eyes looked good…independently!

Um, I’m not good at embroidering eyes, but they looked good, just not together. Honestly, I tried to make them look the same–and this happened. But, the good news is that one eye would be completely covered, so we just to had to pick the better eye. 👁

Next came the body. Nothing too tricky there.

You can really see how different the eyes look here.
I don’t always give them fingers but it seemed appropriate here.

I attempted the hair next, and I just couldn’t get it right. I tried several things and undid the hair about 4 times. After the last unraveling, I gave up on the hair and moved on to the dress. I needed a win. The hair needed more time to marinate in my brain. I got about halfway through the dress when inspiration struck! I went back to the hair.

I finished up the outfit and went to attach the hair. It wasn’t right! I had to adjust it by sewing some of the hair up by folding it. The ‘cones’ didn’t line up with the shoulders correctly (they hung too low), so I had to do some creative bunching up of the bottom half with the upper half. It all worked out in the end, but there was definitely hair shenanigans going on to make it work. I wasn’t about to start over again!

Once the the hair and dress were done, I just needed to finish the earrings, the crown, and the wand to complete her look.

My son was very very happy with the outcome. And now it’s on to the next project!

14 thoughts on “Crochet Rosalina From Super Mario Galaxy

  1. Pingback: Funko Pop Crochet | yochet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s