So I finished making my sister’s baby doll. I promised I’d make one for her and then made the Elsa doll instead. There is a bright side to waiting, though (at least that’s what I keep telling her). I practiced some techniques on Elsa that helped me with this doll. I’m getting better at making fingers, for one, and I tried my hand at color work instead of a hair cap for another.
I believe all my dolls to be special but since this one is going to my sister, I wanted to make sure she is worthy of going to her. This one is truly a labor of love since she is going to someone I really, really love.
Sis had a couple of requests (of course she did :-)). She wanted her to have fingers (I’m getting pretty good at it now with all the practice). She needed ears. She wanted her arms going forward like she’s giving a hug and she wanted her to have legs that are easy to put in a seated position.
I tried a few different things for this one. I strung two buttons on the yarn before I made the head so I could insert the eyes when ready as I was crocheting. This eliminated the need to sew on the eyes separately. I’m not sure it was an improvement over just sewing them on. It still looked good and it was one less step to do after the head was made but I don’t think it really matters one way or the other.
When I made the arms and legs, I didn’t stuff them to the top so that they would be a little flat in that area. That way, they could be sewn on in a way that gave flexibility. The arms are facing forward in a hug but can be pulled back. The legs were sewn on in a seated position but can also hang down. Sewing the arms and legs this way made her very cuddly.
My sister has curly hair so I wanted her to have curly hair. I tried my hand at a different style of dress than I usually make. I looked at a few pictures on the internet for ideas. For the skirt portion, I tried to get fancy with back and front posts. I liked the finished dress but I don’t think it was what my sis was looking for. I liked it a lot so I’m going to keep that one for another doll and make her a new one that’s more to her liking. I was experimenting and that’s how it goes. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. In this case, it’s win-win because I get to keep it and I learned something new. 🙂 The shoes were something new for me as well. I really liked them and will use that style more often now.